Turnitin is a leading plagiarism detection tool that allows faculty and students to check their work for originality and also gives faculty the ability to digitally grade and provide feedback on papers. At SPU, we are using Turnitin within Blackboard which includes the following options:
- Turnitin’s OriginalityCheck compares submitted documents against internet sources, Turnitin’s document repository, and other publications.
- e-rater Grammar Check scans a submitted document for possible spelling, grammar, usage, mechanics, and style errors.
- GradeMark is a grading function that allows faculty to score papers, add written or audio comments, and create interactive grading rubrics to organize specific feedback for students. For more in-depth information, please visit the Turnitin Instructor Manual
How should cases of plagiarism be handled? We recommend reviewing the information regarding Academic Integrity set forth in the current Undergraduate or Graduate Catalog.
Resources for Faculty:
- Collecting student assignments with Turnitin
- Creating Revision Assignments
- Creating PeerMark assignments
- Editing Turnitin assignments
- Deleting Turnitin assignments
- Submitting papers to Turnitin on behalf of students
- Viewing Turnitin submissions and originality reports
- Using the e-rater Grammar Check
- Using GradeMark to add comments and QuickMarks to Turnitin student papers
- Adding voice (audio) comments
- Using Rubric ScoreCards
- Viewing Originality Reports and GradeMark comments simultaneously
- Downloading Turnitin papers in their original format (without GradeMark Comments) individually and in bulk
- Downloading GradeMark versions of Turnitin papers individually and in bulk
- Viewing group reports for overall writing by class
- Turnitin for iPad
Resources for Students: