The Assignment tool can be used by instructors as a way to collect individual student assignments and group assignments digitally. When instructors choose to create a place in their course for students to submit their assignment, a column is automatically added to the course Grade Center. This enables the instructor to easily track which students have submitted their assignment, grade the assignment, and return the graded assignment to students for their review.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When naming your assignment, avoid using special characters in the name. For example, instead of naming your assignment “Reflection #1″, please name it “Reflection 1″. This will avoid potential problems with downloading student work.
- Log into your course site with Edit Mode set On.
- Click on the area where you’d like the link to the assignment to appear (i.e. Content).
- Click Assessments > Assignment.
- Type a name for the assignment, and provide instructions in the box below.
- Under the Assignment Files section, you may attach a document that outlines the assignment or is a template students are to use when completing their assignment.
Click the Browse My Computer button.
Locate the document you want to attach, and click Open.
Repeat this process if you have more than one file to attach.
- Under Grading, type the points possible.
- Under Availability, check the box to Make the Assignment Available.
You may also choose to adjust the number of attempts, set a date restriction, and track the number of views.
- Under Recipients, choose All Students Individually.
- Click the Submit button.
Note: It is a good idea to post an announcement informing students of the availability and location of the assignment. For example, your announcement could read, “This week’s assignment, (assignment name), is now available in the Content section.” This tells students what assignment is available and where to locate it.