Wiki is the Hawaiian word for “quick.” A wiki is a website where users can add and/or edit content collaboratively using only a web browser. Several benefits of using wikis include giving all group members an equal voice in a project, preventing slackers from hiding behind their peers’ work, and being able to replay the history of the creation of the wiki. Instructors who ask their students to create wikis in Blackboard will want to provide training to their students on how to use the tool.
To create a wiki within Blackboard:
- Log into your course site with the Edit Mode set On.
- Click on the Content Area where you’d like the wiki to appear (i.e. Content).
- Select Tools > Wikis. Important note: If Wikis does not appear as an option, you may need to enable the wiki tool within your course site by clicking Customization > Tool Availability, checking the box next to Wikis, and clicking Submit.
- Select Create New Wiki and click Next.
- Type a name for the wiki and any accompanying instructions, if needed.
- Under Wiki Date and Time Restrictions, select Yes for Wiki Availability. You can also choose to set a date and time restriction. Generally speaking, we recommend leaving the wiki available to students so that they may refer back to it at any point in the course.
- Under Wiki Participation, select Open to Editing and Open to Commenting.
- Under Wiki Settings, you could choose to have a Grade Center column automatically generated for the wiki you are creating. For example, if you are going to have just a single assessment of the wiki, you could select Grade: Points Possible. However, if you will be assessing the wiki at different stages in the students’ creation process, you may want to manually create separate columns in the Grade Center for those assessment purposes.
- Click Submit.
- Once you’ve created the wiki, you’ll need to create the Link to a Wiki within your content area. Select the name of the wiki. Click Next.
- Confirm the Link Name, any accompanying text, and corresponding options.
Under Options, select Yes to make the blog Available.